I actually came across this from 9gag out of all places and thought to myself that this simply had to be done. They’re miniature pizzas made in cupcake containers. So how do you make these yummy looking things?
Well the hardest bit is the dough, it’s not hard to do, just a little time consuming, you can’t really go and buy a pre-made pizza cupcake base, so you gotta do it from scratch. The quantities below will be enough for a batch of 12 pizza cupcakes.
What you need:
- 190 mL warm water
- 1 tsp of dried yeast (half a sachet)
- Pinch of sugar
- 300g/2 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60 mL olive oil
Note: you could probably use self-raising flour instead of combining yeast with it, but I haven’t tried myself.
What to do:
- Combine the warm water, yeast and sugar in a bowl, ensure the sugar is dissolved. Leave it for 5 minutes until it becomes foamy.
- While you wait for the yeast to ferment, mix the flour and salt into a large bowl and create a well in the middle. Once the yeast mixture is ready, pour it into the well along with the olive oil.
- Use a butter knife and combine the mixture using a cutting motion, rotate the bowl as you go until it’s pretty well mixed. Use your hands at the end to bring it all together.
- Lightly flour a chopping board or flat surface and knead the dough until it’s a smooth consistency. It should also feel somewhat elastic.
- Brush another bowl with some olive oil and place the ball of dough in it, rolling it around until it’s coated.
- Cover in cling wrap and leave in a warm area so it rises to about double its size, should take about 30 – 40 minutes.
As you wait for the dough to rise, you’ll have the difficult task of choosing what toppings you’d like in your pizza, best bit is you can do it to however you please! At a minimum you will need a sauce for the base and some mozzarella cheese, I used the shredded variety as it makes it easier to fill the small cupcakes.
For mine, I had:
- Tomato-based pizza sauce
- Semi-dried tomatoes
- Chorizo sausages
- Diced ham
- Green capsicum
- Cubes of fetta cheese
- Bit of basil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees
- Take the dough that’s now risen and gently flatten and stretch it. Rip up pieces big enough to cover the cup cake tray and press it in. Your dough should not be more than half a centimetre thick. Repeat until you’re out of dough
- Add the pizza sauce to the bottom, be very generous and line up the sides as well.
- Add your toppings and stack them as high as possible. Add your cheese, covering as much as possible.
- Place in the oven for about 15 minutes.
It’s a very simple recipe and tastes great, will definitely do this one again but with some garlic prawns, think it will be a perfect combo.